Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Project Proposal

What to do, what to do?  The question has been churning in my brain since the beginning of this class.  I have a multitude of ideas I’d like to try, and techniques I’d like to explore.    The problem, and yes, I DO over-think every little thing, ( Damn the curse of being the first born!)  is proposing a project which will challenge me, yet not so much that I stress-out like crazy.
SO-O-O-O, given my love of Mexican folk-art and a desire to get my hands really dirty, I have decided that I will create a Mexican folk-art inspired piece using press-molded clay tiles. I experimented with this technique once a couple of years ago,  but wasn’t really satisfied with the results.  I DO like look of a well-executed press-tile.  I haven’t considered size nor number of tiles yet…..lots of ‘ifs’ at this point. Guess a lot depends on how long it will take me to perfect the craft of mold making. Am leaning towards a red clay and maybe will experiment with an iron oxide wash.

3 comments:

  1. I love Mexican folk art. This should be a great project. I love working with clay but it is not my strongest media. - I'm interested to see your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am first born too - so I can relate! I think this sounds great. Like Michelle, clay is not my strong point (which is ironic considering my last name I know). Don't worry about the "ifs" - lots of questions is a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see this! I do love a good mess. I agree with Michelle. I like clay but it is not my strongest media either. I enjoy seeing artist that really have a hold of its possibility!

    ReplyDelete