Monday, November 22, 2010

Week 12: Creativity,-Tools, Theories, & Techniques

Week 12: Creativity,-Tools, Theories, & Techniques
Excerpt from Twyla Tharp - First of all, let me say that I loved reading Tharp’s theories on envisioning. I could identify with her notions so much that I kept thinking, “Who are you, crazy dancer lady, and how do you know my mind so well?!” 
 Tharp likens scratching to the act of scraping a lottery ticket. When I think of scratching, I am reminded instead, of chickens persistently clawing and pecking their way through life in search of the next tasty tidbit. Either way, I agree with Tharp, ideas come from the art of doing something physical in your craft.  You may not know what direction you are headed, but ideas will come simply through the act of engaging in the process.  Tharp says that scratching is a wildly unruly process, but offers rules to make it a bit more manageable. (p 105)  While I hesitate to say that I am a person who likes rules, without a doubt, I am a person who follows rules. Thank-you Ms. Tharp!
Tharp’s Rules for Scratching:
Be in Shape - When I began this course I was definitely out of shape in regard to the process of engagement.  I would generate wonderful ideas, but was extremely undisciplined when it came to actually doing anything with those ideas. Consequently, it did take me a good while to feel comfortable working on projects again. I’m challenging myself to maintain a new level of creative fitness!
Scratch in the Best Places – This one was a bit tricky for me, Tharp says to scratch among the Masters for your inspiration, surround yourself with the best…and I couldn’t help but think, “Isn’t it a matter of personal preference? Isn’t one man’s trash is another man’s treasure?”  When I thought of it in terms of craftsmanship and attention to detail though, this rule did make sense.  Now, if I could just impress the idea upon my students!
 Never Scratch in the Same Place Twice – What a great suggestion for keeping ideas fresh.  I tend to be a creature of habit, but how can I argue with the idea that scratching in the same place will give you the same old ideas?
Maintain the White Hot Pitch - This rule is my favorite! I love the exhilarating description of unleashing an idea and running with it, of allowing it to have the potential of being awful, of not seeing an end product, but just allowing the energy to rush forth and go.
Tharp’s book is on my shopping list, I can’t wait to read everything she has to say about the creative process.

Studio Thinking
When I first started reading the assignments from this book I couldn’t help but think that it was geared more toward middle and high school teachers, however, the more I read this week, the more I realized that all art teachers face the same challenges when it comes to envisioning, engagement, and persistence.  If I can present deeply engaging projects, if I can encourage the habits of engagement and persistence at the elementary level then surely it would be habits which would carry over into every aspect of a student’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment