Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Personal Working Preferences for Creating Art

I tend to be a neat and tidy person. In my home, for the most part, at least the things I have control over, everything has a place. At work I have a reputation amongst the custodians and maintenance staff for having the cleanest art room in the district. Students in my room quickly learn that I expect them to be responsible for cleaning their area and for taking proper care of the supplies. I like order not only in my work space but in the surrounding areas as well. I work better in a calm and well organized environment.

When it comes to the creative process, I like to have as many supplies as I anticipate I will need on hand and ready to go. (Fortunately, being the great collector of supplies, I am usually ready to conquer about any project I can dream up.) I like to tune the radio to a classic rock station so that I don’t have to change cds, and I enjoy working by myself or alongside a good friend. I like creating in my own space and I don’t feel near as comfortable working in the company of strangers. I hate interruptions, be it in the form of a phone, the doorbell, a barking dog, or even an inquisitive spouse.

So far my description sounds pretty much like the perfectionist that I am! When it comes to the actual concept for a project though, I tend to be a little more lax. Perhaps due to the isolation, I brainstorm possibilities, usually right before I fall asleep, in the shower, or while driving to work. No matter what media I intend to use, I make many random sketches, and once started, my ideas change and evolve. I generally work as long as I can at one time, stopping only due to frustration or time constraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment