Tuesday, November 15, 2011
My Smile for the Day
I am challenged to mesh Big Ideas and GLE's with my younger students, there's so much process to be learned. To meet the core common standard of texture, first graders did a rubbing on a cut section of grocery bag. The paper was then crumpled, dipped in water and crumpled again. After it was dry, students cut and twisted the paper to form a tree. Then, to finish the project we discussed fall trees and how the leaves had changed. I asked them to picture a magic tree, it's leaves changing to look any way they could imagine, and I gave them a huge assortment of collage items. The room was an absolute wreck when they were finished, but I am thrilled with the results.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have this nagging urge to go through Sydney Walker's book and adapt it to elementary. I agree that it is challenging and, unless I'm mistaken, not much has been written to help elementary art teachers teach with BIG IDEAS. Have you noticed, too, the the GLEs seem so shallow? My dad, a veteran math & science teacher often said, "Make them reach." It seems that if taught simply as written, the GLEs won't....at least not far.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE you project (and it makes me miss my little kiddos!!!!)
I agree with Mary that a big idea book for elementary school is much needed. I too love this assignment and thinking about magical trees.
ReplyDelete