Friday, November 4, 2011

Remind Me Again why I Selected this Vocation....


This year I see 460+ students, K- fourth on a three day rotation, fifth and sixth on a four day rotation. Classes are huge, and come back-to-back. (Literally, if I need to use the restroom I have to call the nurse to watch the class.)

Yesterday, I attempted to teach the process of glazing ceramics to a class of 29 sixth graders, 22 of them boys. Due to a day of snow flurries they were extra crazy. It was an effort in futility trying to get them quiet. I observed one boy, a student I had previously really enjoyed, making fun of me and saying that I was a b*tch. Let me just say the experience brought out the inner b*tch in me real quick! 

This the second year to have sixth grade in our K-5 building. Plans are in the works to move them to a special sixth grade center next year. Until then, my colleagues, I'm begging for some middle school survival tips!!! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Sheryl. I'm sorry!

    Kathy, VaLynda, and I JUST did a presentation on Monday about procedures in the middle school classroom. I wish you could have been there, too. Listen to the following podcast when you have a moment. It won't solve all of your problems, but it may shed some light on why these guys can behave so awkwardly. They're just trying to fit in.

    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/449/middle-school

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber, the podcast was informative and brought back a wave of my own unpleasant junior high memories. My transient population has a lot in common with the podcast student 'Leo'. Having one or both parent in the military heaps even more on their plates. I'll keep racking my brain for new ways to reach them, maybe even invite some of my trouble makers to stay after school and help me with prep - not as a punishment, but maybe as a way to connect.

    I know I would have loved your, Kathy, and 'V's presentation! How about if the three of you do a repeat presentation for MAEA Spring Conference? It would make a fantastic workshop topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME suggestion about MAEA Spring Conference!
    I personally believe there is a special place in Heaven for middle school art teachers...You have laid claim as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheryl!
    Middle school is my FAVORITE group. (21 years now) Yea, maybe Im a bit nuts, but really, so are they... Middle-schoolers are in a class (ha ha no pun intended) of their own. They think they're all grown up and want to be treated like that but are really terrified of being grown up and need structure. Its finding the balance thats tough and really its through building a relationship that leaves room for the goofiness they are while expecting respect.
    Kids these days, as you know, have so much on their plates already. Add to that, hormones, weird feelings you didn't have before, your body and maybe voice is changing, you have no idea who you are or how you fit an, and bam, you have a smoldering beaker of explosive possibility...LOL. But really, he likely didn't mean it, like Amber said, he's trying to fit, establish himself etc. It was at your expense this time. I agree with your inclination to connect. Its well worth the time. Hang in there. Dont let their size and attitudes fool you, they're still little kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sixth Grade is in the rotation today. I have listened to the podcast, viewed several youtube videos, and reread these words of wisdom several times- thanks, Amber, Mary, and Amy! I know several people who say that middle school is their favorite age group. I don't know if I'll ever fall into that category, but I feel refreshed and ready to give it another go.

    BTW, I passed the student who said I was a b*tch yesterday while walking down the hall. He put his head down and refused to make eye contact. Could it be that he really does feel bad?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sad that I couldn't attend the middle school classroom procedures discussion. I have been a middle school hater for the first 3 years of teaching, but I LOVE them now. My 5/6 class is kind of difficult because I have 19 5th graders and 10 6th graders in one class. (I teach at a small school, I'm used to classes of 13-22!) I am really enjoying my 7th graders right now. We are having a ton of fun and doing some cool stuff. I think I could be a middle school teacher. Did the presenters have a powerpoint that could be shared electronically with the distance students?

    ReplyDelete