Sunday, January 19, 2014

What Makes a Great Teacher?



In this article, Chris Lehmann asserts that some individuals seem to possess a natural inclination towards excellence in teaching and conversely, others, despite holding the same or greater training, are miserable failures. Lehmann does not claim to have written a comprehensive list, but has identified a set of characteristics that natural born teachers tend to have in common, which he offers as food for thought. These characteristics include: “Passion for teaching, Love of kids, Love of their subject, Understanding of their subject, Understanding of the role of a school in a child’s life, A willingness to change, A work ethic that doesn’t quit, A willingness to reflect, Organization, Understanding that being a “great teacher” is a constant struggle to always improve, Enough ego to survive the hard days. Enough humility to remember it’s not about you and, A willingness to work collaboratively.” http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/the-12-qualities-great-teachers-share/2011/06/13/AGL64fTH_blog.html

It’s been my experience that it’s a lot easier to pick out the qualities that make a not-so-great teacher than the other way around. We’ve all either had one, worked alongside one, or more likely, both. Both are definitely the case for me. Throughout my educational experience I suffered through school years of:

The indifferent teacher - who I am unconvinced ever learned my name, despite the fact I was in her room the entire length of third grade.

The unhappy teacher - I have clear recollections of educational experiences from every single K-6 classroom with the exception of fifth grade. What I do remember, is that this teacher never smiled, never gave the slightest indication that she enjoyed her job, or even that she liked children.

The not-so-hands on teacher - I was super psyched to take ceramics as an undergrad. My small high school art program hadn’t offered much in the way of ceramics, I couldn’t wait to get behind a potter’s wheel. My instructor was a pretty amazing man, his own work was definitely impressive, but he didn’t teach me a damn thing. Not even when I, in serious frustration, sought his help repeatedly. I mostly remember him, sitting in a relaxed position, at his desk - in his office, happily munching on red apples. Sadly, I’ve never mastered the art of throwing a pot. L

Along the way, I’ve also encountered some amazing teachers; the ones that I tend to measure myself against. Like I said, it’s more difficult to pinpoint those characteristics, but I think that Lehmann has done an exceptional job. I think I’ve been in the field long enough that in reading his list that there were no real “Aha!” moments, but more, head-nods and uh-huhs. For most of these characteristics I either envisioned a teacher who personified that quality, or thought, “Yeah, I completely agree.”

When it comes to both a passion for teaching and a passion for your subject, it seems to me that these two go hand-in-hand. If you LOVE to teach, then it only makes sense to teach what you love. Right? In reading Lehmann's description, I couldn’t help but envision Dr. Kathy Unrath, rushing in for a class, about to burst to share about something she saw on late-night TV, or something she’d just read and HAD to let us in on. She’s who I want to be like when I grow up!

I think my personal strongest characteristic as a teacher is #2, love of kids. There’s just something about seeing those earnest, innocent, little, fresh scrubbed faces, beaming up at you. (For the record, there’s something about the not so innocent, not so fresh scrubbed faces too! Even the monsters have something about them to love.) Elementary kids are precious little sponges that want to soak it all in. It’s a staggering responsibility to give them your best even on the days when you feel your worst. I would hate to be remembered as the teacher who never smiled!

In my opinion everything else in the realm of great teacher-ness, #4-12, would pretty much fall into place if a teacher is passionate about their teaching, passionate about their subject, and genuinely loves kids.

6 comments:

  1. Hugs and kisses back to you. I was happily surprised when I saw that you were enrolled in this course. Thank you for posting a comment on my blog. It is just like being alone in the cafeteria and having someone you know sit next to you for lunch.

    Nature vs. Nurture: I noticed that you interpreted Lehmann's article as identifying traits of natural born teachers. Do you think some people are per-dispotioned to become educators, or do you think they are groomed? I only ask to start a conversation.

    I like how you have identified some negative traits of detrimental teachers. They are necessary to have around in that they urge us to identify what we do not want to become. Kind of like adding poo to a garden. A little is good, too much is a turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Slamme! Great to be in cyberclass with you again! I, too, noticed that you interpreted the author as saying that great teachers have certain gifts or talents that they're just born with, but I do think (and desperately hope) that most of the things on this list can be cultivated through....well, reflection. (I wonder if that's why Amy had us read this article. She's so smart.) 

      I'm thinking you must be in agreement with me on this since you went so far as to assess yourself on each of these characteristics and make note of areas where you would like to see improvement. I'm sure all of us were doing the same thing, perhaps less formally, as we read the article. I know I was and I have to believe that if I'm not strong in one of these areas now, that I could improve through reflection and response. That being said, I think a passion for teaching and caring about your students is a basic pre-requisite. If that's not your priority, then it may not be worth your time and effort to try to cultivate the other characteristics and maybe teaching just isn't the job for you.

      So in response to whackandsmack's question (sorry whackandsmack, I don't know who you actually are ;) ), I think it's always both. Predisposition and grooming. But either way, you have to have the will to evaluate yourself and improve. You have to care enough to want to. As long as you've got that going for you, I think you can become a better teacher. Much like talent in the arts...many people think it's just a gift you're either born with or you aren't. But we know that anyone can improve as an artist if they are willing to try. If they're encouraged along the way and reinforced with the notion that they have great potential, they are more likely self-identify with the role, which in turn fuels desire to improve. I feel so lucky in this program to have mentors who really see the potential in me and my fellow classmates. Kathy, for example, is particularly great at this. She immediately sniffs out your greatest strengths and constantly reinforces that you have the potential to be a fabulous teacher (and that you already are, in part because you're here and willing to grow in improve yourself for the sake of your students). As much as honest reflection is important, I think so is this kind of positive reinforcement and support. 

      Delete
  3. Oh Slammers, you are always so very good at doing your assignments!! They are always so very put together and awesome.

    Just to continue the conversation about getting given the "teachernesses" or gathering it, well, I think I would have to say that I think it is the effort to gather that is the gift. We all came into the profession to help, for the good of the whole. We are defenders and curators of the future. And, in that we must have been given tenacity and then molded it through observation and experience...... I think...

    However, to conclude with something that I do know for certain... I love you Slammers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I love this conversation! Funny, I had to reread the article, I DID interpret Lehmann's article as identifying traits of natural born teachers, though I'm not sure that was the author's intent. (My apologies, Mr. Lehmann!) Are great teachers a product of Nature or Nurture? I've pondered this question on many an occasion. I have to agree, it's probably a little of both. It makes me wonder how frequently people become teachers as a result of conditioning? You know, attend school for 17+ years and then teach because it's a familiar process?

    ReplyDelete