Michelle,
For the past fourteen years, sitting in
various staff meetings, I have heard the exact comments that you reference,
especially the "what goes around, comes back around." I remember the furor that (silently) erupted when
the concept of PLC’s were first introduced. It does seem that these feelings are
most often coming from those who have been teaching the longest. On one hand, I
understand their frustrations. As education in the US continues to grapple with
the twenty-first century paradigm shift, it seems as though teachers, at least
in my district, are constantly demanded to use some new tool or technique. This
is always on the heels of the last new,
best thing which they are still trying to master. On the other hand, funny
- I think you may be on to something - I always tend to think of myself as
someone who hasn’t taught that long - LOL, the teachers who have the attitude
that they can always improve possess the attributes that Lehmann identifies as
those of a great teacher. (Not that I’m saying that I’m a great teacher, but I
certainly aspire to be one!)
I have witnessed that these, generally
older teachers, can have a cancer-like effect in their grade levels, their negativity
and don’t give a hoot attitude poisoning their younger and less experienced
colleagues. I have witnessed the opposite of this happening as well, just not
as often. It’s that whole “One bad apple” situation. To me it seems as though
some people are, by nature, more open-minded and flexible in their thinking. I’m
not sure if it’s a generational thing, or a personality thing. Perhaps the psychology
class you are taking will reveal the answer!
Reflecting on my response -
I had the good fortune to work alongside one of the best teachers I have ever known until his frustrations with the whole "what goes around, comes back around" drove him into retirement. He was completely fed-up with change, and not at all interested in collaboration. Never-the-less, he was passionate about teaching, passionate about his grade level, and he loved kids. He went out of his way to really get to know his students. An avid sportsman, he frequently took small groups of students and their parents on fishing trips. He taught largely through the use of personal narrative. He was tough, there were weeks where his students lost the privilege of recess, yet year-after-year former students flocked back to visit their beloved teacher. He was invited to their weddings and graduations, and in touch with students from his earliest days of teaching. He, self-admittedly, rarely cracked open the curriculum guide and absolutely refused to "teach to the test". Yet, every year when test scores were released, his were consistently the best in the entire district. Perhaps this man was an exception, but I cannot help but think of him when I think of great teachers. In my opinion, when we try pick out the qualities that great teachers possess, we can't overlook the fact that sometimes the very best ones don't quite fit into the mold.
First off, Thank you for posting your response to Michelle's here AND then following up with an additional reflection. It makes for a more solid continuity when trying to follow thought threads.
ReplyDeleteAs educators, we all have to find what works for us all and in there, keep an open mind to those folks who "don't quite fit the mold". I think sometimes its those folks who really have reflected on what motivates what they do and have made deliberate choices which really address the learning needs of the kids they work with. These choices challenge the norm but feed the hearts and minds of the students they teach. (Admittedly, I might be a little biased ;)