Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lamme Response to SpaceTime Cat


In response to your reflection (SpaceTime Cat), I say yes, yes, and double yes to your additions to Lehmann’s list.
• #13 the ability to empathize with one’s co-workers is critical to the success of a school. In my opinion, the climate of a school likely contributes a great deal more to the success of that school than it is given credit for. Funny too, when you enter the doors of a school, you can sense the climate, an unseen force at work.
• #14 Creative ability and use of creative problem solving - being art teachers, I think that we have a natural bent towards this. So much so, that I tend to see everyone as possessing this attribute, but in actuality, that’s just not the case.
• #15 Ability to conduct action research - For planning purposes, my district requires staff to participate in an annual survey. This data also contributes to administrator evaluation. A few years ago, one of the survey questions was in regard to action research. My building, as a whole, scored very low marks. Consequently, the following school year, we had an in-service on action research and were required to submit ongoing evidence of individual classroom action research. While initially off-put that I had to “do one more thing,” the experience served to make me more reflective. Education in our country could do a 180 if it genuinely started with the students and worked upwards!

Reflecting on My Response
In keeping with this week’s self-assessment, I decided to assess myself on Beth’s three additions to the list. Inspired by her in-depth comments, I’m challenging myself to do the same. J
Ability to empathize with and understand the burdens of your co-workers.
I’m giving myself a 3 here. In my response I acknowledge positive school climate as critical to success. My building is small in comparison to most of the elementary schools in my district. I think that alone contributes to an overall positive atmosphere. However, as our student population has grown over the years, I find myself pushed to the very limits, actually somewhat beyond on occasion to what DESE guidelines recommend. I no longer have time to eat in the staff lounge, there’s no passing time between classes, and plan time has me prepping like a woman possessed. Once the unofficial organizer of staff potluck luncheons and after-work happy hours, now I find the only time I see many of my colleagues is when they drop off or pick up their students and then there’s no time to talk. So, while I do see the ability to empathize with and understand the burdens of my co-workers as being very important, it’s going to be difficult and I’m not sure how I can improve, but I’m open to suggestions.

Creative ability and use of creative problem solving.
Let me not break my arm in a rush to pat myself on the back, but I excel at creative problem solving. I tend to view things in a different way than my (mostly) left-brained colleagues. One of my co-worker friends is always commenting that she would never have conceived of some of my solutions. I also feel that I’m strong when it comes to creative ability, though sometimes I get frustrated at getting so caught up in my own head that it interferes with my ability to actually act on that ability. Does that make sense? I’m giving myself a 1 on problem solving, and a 2 on a creative ability.

Ability to conduct action research.
Action research seems to be inherent to being an art teacher. I teach three classes of every grade K-5, with the exception of first and there are four classes at that level. Of course there are exceptions, but I’ve long felt that the class in the rotation to have me the last always gets the best lesson from me. I’ve had time to test it, tweak it, and figure out the most effective way to maximize the learning experience. Sometimes I throw something completely out the window after trying it once, and am not afraid to tell my kids, “Hey, this isn’t working out the way I pictured it.” I think it’s good for them to see me confront challenge and to witness perseverance in action. I feel like I could make more of a difference though. I’d like to use the results from my own action research to effect change in education as a whole. (Cue the music and golden beams!!! This is kind of an epiphany moment! I’ve vocalized something that’s just been floating around in the recesses of my brain. I WANT to change education, but it seems so big that I don’t know where to start!) That being said, I’m giving myself a 2.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment