Walker addresses the importance of “sequence” in an instructional unit built around a BIG IDEA.
Discuss your strategy / rationale for the sequencing of VTS images, artmaking, and other instructional activities in the unit you are developing.
Is your sequencing strategy consistent with Walker’s recommendations? If not, what factors influenced your changes?
I am following Walker recommendations for sequencing an instructional unit. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
1) Conceptual Framework –
Students were introduced to researching the Big Idea Story, and the essential questions - How do people express ideas through art? How has art been used throughout history to tell stories by viewing the video Tom Benton’s Missouri. They had visited the capitol building earlier this year and had toured the mural. After viewing the video we discussed: the stories that Benton told in the mural, the fact that not all of the stories were ‘pretty’, and the importance of recording history.
Next, students will continue to build their knowledge base through the VTS of images that contain a strong narrative. I think the last image prior to the artmaking process will be ‘Moving Day’ by Norman Rockwell.
2) Supportive Instructional activities -
At this point students are beginning to VTSesque images in small groups and then share their findings with the class. I wanted to include some collaborative efforts, but so far have not been pleased with the arguing and petty drama that this activity has generated. Students used the document camera and SmartBoard to share their findings. That part of the activity seemed to be a crowd pleaser.
Students will also write a narrative telling about a time in their life in which they have experienced change. (I may include mind maps here.) I agreed with Amy and JooYoung’s suggestions that some limitations might enrich the narrative process. My students have experienced a great deal of change in their 9-10 years of life, they should all be able to relate a story of change.
3) Artmaking instructional activities-
Students will create rough drafts illustrating their written narrative. They will learn
bas-relief techniques with plasticine clay - if this doesn’t work we’ll experiment with stoneware clay. The final project will be the production of a bas-relief ceramic tile that portrays a personal story of change.
It seems a little late, do I need to change my Big Idea to 'Stories of Change'?
If you revise your Big Idea to "Stories of Change," be sure to revise your guiding questions as well, since they should funnel understanding toward the change aspect. It's up to you.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like "change" is really resonating with this group of students who have confronted it repeatedly in their young lives. Relating to it on such a personal level, I will be surprised if their engagement wanes.