Wednesday, February 22, 2012

More Random VTS

Kindergarten recently made pinch pots. They have applied a light color glaze, and will be using a darker color to add a pattern or design. I thought it would be helpful for them to see examples of pottery with patterns, so conducted a quick image search. I had planned a didactic experience, but ended up conducting VTS instead. I would never have dreamed the delightful responses I got from this sparse image. At first they inventoried, then identified the patterns. Next they began to speculate the occasion...was it a tea party or was someone getting ready to drink coffee or hot chocolate. My favorite part though, was when one girl observed that these dishes had either been washed, or posed in this position so that someone could take a picture. What did she see to feel that way? 'Well, there's no food on the dishes AND you don't see plates just standing up like that for no reason.' Higher order thinking at it's finest!

1 comment: