Thursday, October 6, 2011

Image Selection



The image I have selected for use with my students is ‘Outings’, August 30, 1947, by Norman Rockwell.

My focus group is a group of 18 third grade students – 11 boys and 7 girls; they are 100% military dependents.

I believe the strong narrative in this work will appeal to my students.  As suggested in the Image selection guidelines it contains stopped action, family, and play. The group will be able to readily identify with the elements in this story – the excitement and enthusiasm in the top images as well as the passage of time and mood of the lower. The activities are familiar, the setting is clear; it contains three generations of people, an animal, and just enough setting to pique interest.

2 comments:

  1. I love your selection and agree with you that this could be a very good image to students who are military dependant. I felt empathy with this image as a military dependant too. Moving to another place would be, sometimes, exciting but could be sad and exhausted too. How much an image attracts or inspires viewers depends on what kind of viewer they are. Even if same images are provided, interpretation or how much empathy they feel could be different according to person's experience or environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it would be an excellent image to VTS. It would meet Yenawine's criteria of illustrating a common theme in a different time or culture. These days, kids are in seat belts and usually have some form of electronic entertainment. It would be interesting to see how the students relate to the image.

    ReplyDelete