I had great success using Faith Ringold's Church Picnic for an impromptu VTS session yesterday. It was a morning of emergency procedure drills, first grade students were extra wiggly, and we had about twenty minutes of class to fill. We had such a wonderful time that I was inspired to use the image with my next class, the kindergarteners.
I was amazed at the details they were able to pick out and the narratives that developed. Older students might read the church picnic banner and perhaps that might inhibit the discussion, but it didn't have that effect on my little ones. They acknowledged that it was either a sign or, in the case of kinders - a list :-), but then moved right on.
This image is a 'Keeper'!

You will love the description I am working on right now for the follow-up course to VTS I! Hang on to this one for sure!
ReplyDelete