Reflection- How Did the ideas expressed by Yenawine in the ‘Visual Art and Student Centered Discussions’ article reinforce or contradict in the implementation of Lesson 1?
Yenawine’s article paralleled my first VTS lesson in an almost eerie manner, my lesson unfolded almost as if my students were reading a script! The group contained both the inventory takers who gave a careful account of the people and items in the room as well as those who used more detailed and descriptive language. I encountered the student who was concerned over not knowing what the sewing machine was. I experienced the lengthy talkers and a child who made a comparison to a movie.
It was clear to me throughout the experience that the image did puzzle my students, there was much ambiguity – whose house was this, was it a house or a hospital, whose images were in the photographs, the relationship of the figures. However, it was not too difficult for them, they seemed to enjoy putting the pieces together. Students were quick to readily agree or disagree, they were very much aware of converging and diverging views. They enjoyed the scaffolding process, building onto the meanings verbalized by their peers.
I could clearly see the benefit of using open-ended, facilitated discussion as a learning tool for all students. Several observations surprised me. It was interesting to see the little tidbits of knowledge, memories, cultural and religious beliefs, and trivia they had stored away. My lower children were anxious to participate, once they saw that it was safe to support the observation of another, although sometimes their responses were pretty much parroting the exact words of a classmate. It made me wonder, does higher order thinking take place in those instances – is thinking inextricably intertwined with language when students essentially repeat the observations of another? I was happy that they elected to participate no matter. Perhaps, over time they will volunteer their own ideas.
I loved stepping back, being the facilitator versus the expert. It was fun to observe as my students…”recognize (d) the world created within the image and enter(ed) willfully into it.” (p.6)
A challenging image, but within their reach - Vygotsky would say "See?!" I say, LOVE IT! The parroting is very common, especially at the beginning and especially with younger students (would be interesting to see where they rank in terms of birth order with the rest of the class!) I've heard Yenawine say, "Just because they hear it doesn't mean they own it. Saying it helps them own it." Your wondering about whether higher order thinking is going on in those students yet is one I will ponder along with you! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI have yet to read the Yenawine articles (my MAC won't open them!) However, I had to giggle with the scaffolding statement, I used a lego statement in my first VTS blog. :) Im really excited to read what everyone is writing! I love discovering things about my students through discussions such as these. I have found over the years, I learn far more about my students lives, hope, and dreams through discussions about something other than them... ironic I suppose. I loved your reference to your awareness of students experiences and how they surface through this process. Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Mary that the parroting behavior is beneficial. Perhaps these lower students are doing some observational learning when they repeat. Maybe they are learning the language and structure, and one day will voice original viewpoints when they are developmentally ready.
ReplyDelete