Saturday, April 12, 2014

Week 11

Pink and green frames indicate pre-thinking for this lesson,
 blue and orange frames represent my post- lesson reflections.

  4/9 Looking at my lesson plans; third grade is the highest-grade level ready to begin a new unit. Due to me being out of the classroom so much last month, both fourth and fifth grades are in the middle of completing units, and I promised them no further interruptions. I will go ahead and VTS the Jenny Holzer image I posted for last week, but I am a bit apprehensive, I’m not sure that third grade students can comprehend the complexity…we’ll see. This will lead into a unit on the power of advertising.

4/10 Third grade wasn’t quite ready to begin the new unit, but I went ahead and VTSed the image before they started work on their work in progress. Like I said yesterday, I was apprehensive about the image. I wasn’t sure that the students would be able to develop much in the way of a narrative. Was I ever in for a surprise, I was both astonished and amazed at the depth they were able to perceive. For those unfamiliar with Visual Thinking Strategies, here’s a brief introduction: The teacher shares a carefully selected image and invites students to look closely. After explaining the protocol for the discussion: there exists no one right answer, respectful listening, and respectful disagreement; the teacher poses the question, “What’s happening in this work of art?” Responses are paraphrased back to link comments and scaffold the development of language. The facilitator remains neutral at all times, and asks students to support their observations with the second question,"What do you see that made you say that?" The discussion progresses with the third question,"What more can we find?"

I conduct VTS on a regular basis with this particular class, and today’s discussion was one of the best. As soon as I displayed the image and over half the class of 26 student’s hands shot onto the air. Students felt like the city was either New York or Chicago, some picked out details that reminded them of certain businesses. Many students noted the contrast between the dark “restfulness” on the left of the image in comparison to the fast paced, “dangerous” action on the right. There were several narratives that developed in regard to the sign. It could be that the city grew too fast, that the people wanted the city, but didn’t realize how quickly it would grow, or how dangerous it would be. Or, perhaps the left side represented the past, a calm and peaceful place, while the right was today. Over and over they equated the right side with danger in the form of car wrecks, fires, and hot lava. A couple of students even said that sometimes people want something, but don’t realize that the thing they want has the potential to hurt them. YES! YES! YES! Outside I was calm and cool, but inside I was turning cartwheels. Engagement was high throughout the discussion and many hands were still in the air at the conclusion of the discussion.

What did I learn? I think this was the perfect opportunity for me to realize that I shouldn’t under-estimate my students or what they have learned in my class this year. Initially I felt like they might just inventory this image, but, being the VTS pros that they are, they readily went down the path I had selected. (I also noticed for the first time that one of my most impulsive ADD boys, who I treasure for his quick wit and sophisticated humor, is far more brilliant than I ever suspected. He was a superstar during the discussion and made observations that blew me away. I suspect that he frequently gets in trouble in the regular classroom. I love that he was able to SHINE in the art room.)

Why did they engage with this image? They understand the procedure for VTS. They understand that art conveys meaning; it is “about” something. This image is perhaps a little more worldly than I would normally select for third grade.

What would I do differently? Not a blooming thing! Why? I’m an obsessive perfectionist, I hated that I was starting something new before fully completing the last project. My kids didn’t mind in the least. I think it was a good brain break, for all of us! I don’t think you can be a teacher without being flexible, this experience taught me that it’s good to be even more so.

5 comments:

  1. You are the prezi queen! I love way prezi shows multiple connections between the ideas. Being visual, it is always a plus for me.

    I love that you were brave and jumped in a little unsure with your third graders. I agree that we should not underestimate kids. They are often far more capable than we imagine.... (hmmm .... maybe the adult world should imagine more.... ;).. Ill follow that thought later....)

    VTS is a fabulous tool with any age group but I especially love it with young kids because they are so wildly perceptive paired with an open mind. It can lead to so much depth its a little mind blowing.

    Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Amy. When you, as the adult facilitator, are willing to suspend your beliefs, young kids can take you to places you could never have imagined and establish valid connections that world weary eyes can't pick out as readily. It's truly magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a great feeling to have students surprise you in such a positive way? You said you weren't sure your students would be able to develop narratives, but you were amazed by how in depth their perceptions were. You've obviously been doing something right! Do you plan to have your students create a project based off this image and discussion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      If there's time for the unit before the end of the year, which is in sight - WOO! HOO!, yes, this will lead into a unit on the power of images to manipulate. We'll spend some time looking at advertising, discuss propaganda, and create an image designed to evoke emotion. I'll work in more VTS along the way, am wondering how they'd do with Barbara Kruger...

      Delete
  4. You continue to amaze me. I am so intrigued by how you get these responses from your students. There are days that I cannot get my high schoolers to say one word unless it is about what fight happened over the weekend. My VTS skills are not as advance as yours, but I feel like your students really benefit from reading an image, and so could mine.

    ReplyDelete