Michelle and Amy,
I read your post twice yesterday, each time reflecting on how much I want this change for my district as well. As you and I have recently discussed (WHOO! HOO! San Diego!) I envision myself as the initiator of this change, so my questions were very much in line with your own. I wasn't sure I could respond with any help, but I was drawn back in to review your questions again....kinda like that sore spot in your mouth where you keep sticking your tongue to see if it still hurts. Amy's response brings a fresh perspective. You both seem to have an innate ability to empathize with others. I, on the other hand, get frustrated that others can't readily SEE that this change is good. I get fed-up that they just want to do whatever is the easiest. I find myself wanting to cram it down their throats though I know that's no way to make friends and influence people. LOL!You've both given me ample food for thought and the ability to see things in a different light. Thanks!
My Reflection
I did it, I did it, I really, really did it! I sent an email to the superintendent yesterday, thanking him for the opportunity to present at the NAEA convention. I shared how I got goose bumps while attending the National core visual arts standards pre-conference workshop and requested to meet with him and discuss the direction that our visual arts needs to be headed. This really is an exciting time to be an art teacher, now, if only I can entice everyone else to accept that in a way that is not too "abrupt and harsh." My only problem with the knights of the round table approach is that I am so out-numbered by the old school warriors that I get out-voted time and time again. This time I'll have the cloak of the new standards as my protection!
__________________________________________
To Erika
I'm flattered that you were inspired by my unit and I love that you are inviting students to question their own beliefs. That's some pretty powerful stuff when you're dealing with teenagers. Actually, some pretty powerful stuff for all of us to consider. Would love to know how your students respond to this.
My Reflection
I remember a mock election my seventh grade social studies
teacher conducted and how I voted straight ticket for the party that my parents
did. When I asked my Mom why they were that particular party affiliation, she replied that
as far back as she knew, all of her family had voted that way. As a thirteen
year old, that seemed a reasonable explanation. Family is family, after all. As I got older I realized that I didn't necessarily agree with the platform of that party. My high school art teacher taught us how to decoupage and to do string art. I wish I'd had someone like Erika, encouraging me to experience and know my voice.
No comments:
Post a Comment