Six Explorations designed to cultivate “question-based
learning.” (p 62)
Questions to Create Community:
Collaborative questioning which leads to the development of group identity.
Observation as the Foundation for Questions - Spending sustained time engaged in mindful observation of one’s environment, noting any and all questions that might arise and then analyzing and critiquing the questions. This process hones the ability to ask quality questions.
Questions to Create Community:
Collaborative questioning which leads to the development of group identity.
Observation as the Foundation for Questions - Spending sustained time engaged in mindful observation of one’s environment, noting any and all questions that might arise and then analyzing and critiquing the questions. This process hones the ability to ask quality questions.
The Power of Why / AKA - the Annoying Child practice (p 66) - The simple practice of continually asking why leads to introspection and is a valuable means to uncover the thinking behind one’s thinking.
Using Questions to Promote Critical Thinking - Explores Plus - Minus - Interesting Points questioning. This form of questioning invites participants to suspend all judgment in thoughtful consideration of all aspects of a question.
Lectio Divina: Using Questions in the Context of Contemplation - The process of deeply and openly contemplating the innermost working and feelings of the mind with the idea that everything has a lesson to teach.
Going Public With Questions: Strategic Questioning - Involves the process of inviting participants to answer deliberate and open questions and carefully and openly listening to the response. This type of questioning promotes listening skills in the questioner, and leads the respondent to a deeper understanding of themselves.
The author concludes with the notion that all students are
inherently filled with a vast wealth of significant questions. When educators truly
value and invite those questions, students are free to become the facilitators
of their own learning.
My ReflectionThis chapter is deep beyond measure. I feel as though I could read it over and over, uncovering new and momentous meaning each time. During the course of summary, I could not help but notice that each of the six explorations requires attentiveness, contemplation, openness, and a true desire to explore the thinking behind the thinking. On paper, or in this case, in the blogosphere, those sound simple enough, but in actuality, doesn’t social conditioning propagate numbness, blindness, and a fear to even acknowledge that thinking behind thinking exists? It’s scary what thoughts might be lurking around inside little heads and oh-so-much easier to turn to a canned curriculum than to invite true thinking and true exploration.
“Questions are catalyst for learning; they provoke movement;
they yield change.”(p75) I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, proponents
of 21st Century Learning call for change, but school policies and
standardized testing doesn’t readily facilitate the process. Makes me wonder
what questions I need to be asking and to whom I should be listening…or, is the
answer already there and I’m too afraid to see it?
Pre thinking on lesson with “Why questioning”
Rough Lesson Plan
How do images influence our views of the world? Students will consider the ways that images have the power to influence thought. The first activity will be a VTS discussion of the Jenny Holzer piece, Protect Me From What I Want. I have selected the pre-thinking for this image selection / lesson for my self-interview why questioning. The unit would further explore a variety of images such as advertising, public service announcements, propaganda, and pop culture. It could include art making designed to influence thought / evoke specific emotion.
Question the teacher
Amy,
I have no real burning questions to ask you, but over the course of time I have come to recognize you as an expert questioner. How did this book influence your questioning expertise? What other influences would you credit with developing your inquisitive genius?
You know, I sat with this question all day.... Its a hard one to answer, because I had to really consider carefully, if there was an answer of just more questions..... I read this book a year ago when designing this course and loved MOST of it. For me, what dances in-between the lines is wonder.
ReplyDeleteOne of my personal philosophies is "All things are possible" I really really believe that. (Hence the principles behind statistics is a little mind numbing...LOLOL) However, living life from this disposition, which embodies, wonder, curiosity, vulnerability, hope, passion etc... to me, EVERYTHING has infinite potential and stories are being whispered from a million places ALL THE TIME.
You know how we teach kids about symbol systems our brains develop so we can identify things without having to think about it? (Broccoli trees, M birds etc) I think I consciously chose to forget what I know about things so the unknown can emerge. If we unlearn .... if we un-simplify, if we see everything as new each time we encounter it, THAT leads to all sorts of juicy questions.
What we question, how we question, defines how we encounter ourselves in this world...
In response to "“Questions are catalyst for learning; they provoke movement; they yield change.”(p75) I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, proponents of 21st Century Learning call for change, but school policies and standardized testing doesn’t readily facilitate the process. Makes me wonder what questions I need to be asking and to whom I should be listening…or, is the answer already there and I’m too afraid to see it? "
ReplyDeleteBaby, it's you! It only takes one good teacher to make an impact. My good teacher came my junior year in high school. Plant the seeds, and over time they will grow! You are the change you want to see, and all that jazz. Just remember...time...