RESEARCH TRANSLATION I
Thinking Through Sticker Art: Material Culture Inquiry in Art
~ Kathleen Keys
The author of this chapter proposes that ‘despite an estimated sticker lifespan of only one month, sticker art presents a complex subject for material culture studies and likewise compelling contemporary content for art education.’ Keys terms sticker art as ultra contemporary visual / material culture and proposes several avenues of inquiry for the exploration of sticker art. I will *attempt to develop this article into a research design.
RESEARCH PROBLEM “Though oftentimes an illegal art form, including sticker art as material culture content in art education broadens notions of art and culture.” (P118) Keys quotes Whitehead (2004, p 16) in stressing the importance of this research, saying that it’s study provides “ a springboard for the examination of personal identity, commercial design, social history, and community conflict.” There are no variables, important terms (semiotics, visual culture, and rebel identity are clearly defined.) I believe that this problem would be perfect for an action research project.
LITERATURE REVIEW Literature was well organized, relevant, and thoughtfully presented. Sources cited are mostly current.
HYPOTHESES Through the study of sticker art students will make discoveries about themselves, others, culture and history.
DATA SOURCES/SAMPLING The author clearly describes student activities that could serve as sources of data such as discussions, writings, drawings, and projects.
MEASUREMENT TOOLS Keys suggests that students critique found or personal sticker art discussing: “How or why is the sticker art concept inspiring / and or innovative? How are the elements of art or principles of design employed? What makes it appealing or interesting? If applicable, how well is the sticker integrated with its environment?” Written critiques would document growth in vocabulary and demonstrate an understanding of semiotics. Additionally, I propose that similar measurement could be conducted via video taping Visual Thinking Strategies discussions of sticker art installations.
METHODOLOGY/PROCEDURES A linguistic approach to methodology would give results that are understandable and should support the hypotheses. (???)
DISCUSSION I feel that this research is of practical importance and that the author presents inquiry relevant to the students of today.
*I am somewhat frustrated that I selected an article that was not an actual study. In class today it seemed easy to identify the parts of research in the TED video, however, I don't think I know enough about research yet to create one from an article.
I think you did fine. It looks like the author is investigating temporal art in popular culture. She could be asking: how are students engaging in their environment with materials that are signficant to their world? Why did they choose the material as a communication device? How does this choice speak to their audience?
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy. I'll hang in there!
ReplyDelete