Saturday, June 9, 2012

LTC 8750 Research in Art Education 6/8

Mindwork: Create a Time Line
The idea for my research came about last winter. My co-worker and I began gathering materials over the spring. We have a wiki where we post links that might be relevant to our curriculum. For the past couple of months we have been reading and reviewing books on Visual Culture, the i-Kid, and 21st Century learners. We plan to meet for a week in July to plan / outline our curriculum and then meet again in August prior to the start of school. This summer we are planning around district pd workshops, classes, vacations, and her son’s sporting activities. During the school year we realize that we will probably have to meet at least once a week to review our progress and to make revisions as needed. Our administrator is giving us permission to meet during PLC time to review data and discuss plans.

Mindwork: Finding a Grant Source
Since the idea for my research came about last winter I have already applied for a district technology grant. I wish I had read What Works? prior to submitting the application, however, this grant has previously granted me an Adjustable SmartBoard and a document camera. This year I have asked for a set of ten iPads. Since I have already submitted this grant I will use it to work backwards throughout this exercise. If I am not awarded the grant this year perhaps I can look back and see what revisions I need to make.

The agency - The Technology Department of the Waynesville R-6 School District

What are its goals or purposes? The district technology plan states - Technology will be fully integrated into the curriculum in all subjects and grade levels throughout the district.

With whom does the agency-or its members-associate? The technology department is a part of the school district falling directly under the superintendent and school board, the school district is accountable to the state, and in a lesser degree, to the federal government.

What other kinds of projects have they funded?
This department has previously awarded technology in the form of SmartBoards, document cameras, iPads, classroom speaker systems, and clickers.

What criteria do you meet? The format of this grant required me to tell the ways I use technology:
SmartBoard -On a near daily basis I use my SmartBoard to project examples of fine art for the purpose of conducting VTS, Visual Thinking Strategies is a research based visual arts program that promotes critical thinking, collaborative meaning making, and visual thinking. Consistent with the objectives for 21st Century learning, the role of the teacher is that of facilitator. Students examine the image, think, contribute interpretations, listen, and build understandings together. I use VTS with all grades K-6.

I use my SmartBoard regularly to share Powerpoints, Prezis, Animoto videos, and teacher created voice threads. Students participate in virtual museum field trips

I have used interactive Smartboard lessons to explore color mixing, shapes, size relationships, and virtual art making activities.

I have also used the SmartBoard to share student photography, and to conduct formative critique.

Library / Mobil Labs- I have used the mobile lab so that students can conduct research, building a knowledge base prior to executing a project. Students have used Photobooth to explore the concept of distortion.

Students have explored a variety of Web 2.0 sites.

Classroom Computer - My classroom computer is used to create Powerpoints, Prezis, and VoiceThreads, I research images for Visual Thinking Strategies. I participate in various art education nings and follow art blogs.

The art room has no stand-alone computers, so students frequently use the teacher computer to execute an image search or obtain information

Technology trainings - Last year I received 3 hours graduate credit from MU for the course Artistic Thinking Through Digital Media.  Spring 2011 I attended  METC. Spring 2012 I attended Missouri Art Education Association workshops Apps for Art, Designing With an iPad and participated in a Technology Round Table.

These experiences have allowed me to explore a blended literacy approach to teaching art. My students have explored the importance of visual literacy. I have infused art lessons with open-ended learning that is relevant to the lives of my students. I have addressed what it means to be a Digital Citizen, taught students the meaning of copyright and copyleft, and have emphasized global connections.

Have shared my knowledge and expertise - I have shared Web 2.0 resources and lesson ideas with district art teachers. I have presented the workshop Web 2.0 for the Elementary Art Teacher at the Missouri Art education Association 2011 Spring Conference.

What criteria are you missing? By golly, I think I’ve got it covered!

What assumptions does this grant have about education? Students are prepared for success when their teachers have and use the appropriate technology tools.

Does the descriptions for into your own philosophy of teaching? Why or why not?
The district technology mission very much coincides with my own belief that we must reach this generation of students where and how they already spend their time. I am seriously committed to the use of technology!

Analyze the language of the grant, noting key words and phrases. What words are focal in writing an application? The goal of this program is to put equipment in the hands of teachers who will use it to educate our students. We are not interested in just putting equipment in buildings.  Every year there are more and more qualified applicants for this grant. Hopefully I have proved that I DO use technology in a way that is meaningful and relevant to the learning of my students.





No comments:

Post a Comment