It doesn’t have to be profound or mind boggling, but I truly love it when an author puts into words something I already knew but had never verbalized as such. Does that make sense? While reading
A “Toolbox Approach” for Developing Thoughtfully Structured, Creative Art Experiences I found myself highlighting not the ways that VTS might be integrated into the 3 levels of the Toolbox Approach, but the ways that Hanson and Herz worded their thinking. “In successful classrooms…They innovate in ways that are appropriate but could not have been predicted by the teacher.” Wow, that’s what we strive for all right! I wish I’d read this article before I submitted my in-district technology grant proposal, I would love to have included that quote!
Indeed, VTS slips neatly into the Toolbox approach:
· The teacher delves into their unique box of goodies and designs thoughtful lessons, selecting images for students interpret. During the VTS discussion the teacher paraphrases and links student understanding. Throughout this process the teacher is continually adding more utensils to their own toolbox both as a result of the facilitation as well as the new ideas they learn from their students.
· The class builds a collective meaning, drawing conclusions from associations, memories, and personal experience. In Yenawine's article, Visual Art and Student-Centered Discussions (1998) he says, that through this process, "Both the individual and the group are served simultaneously", both are adding to their tool collection.
· Individual students contribute from their unique associations, memories, and experiences. As they participate in VTS discussion they strengthen their ability to examine, question, debate, communicate, listen, and reflect. The undeniably valuable tools of VTS become a lifelong part of who they are, how they look at the world, how they engage in the process of problem-finding AND solution-finding.
The authors concluded their article saying “A commitment to teaching creativity is a commitment to helping each student discover his or her inner artist, rebel, and thinker.” Personally, I have found that in making a commitment to teaching creativity I am also making a deeper commitment to BE more creative, a deeper commitment to be more in touch with my own inner artist, rebel and thinker. The more tools I give, the more tools I receive in return!

No comments:
Post a Comment