Prior to reading the Gnezda article I don’t suppose
I ever considered the sequence of the ‘cognitive-emotional-manipulative
experience’. As I read, ever-present yellow Sharpie gel highlighter in hand, I
was continually marking, probably in a predictable way, and noting ‘YES!’ in
the margins. Asking myself, “How DID this person get inside my head?” I was
thrilled to affirm, ‘By Jove, by Gnezda’s description of processes, I AM A
HIGHLY CREATIVE PERSON!’ I am a total poster child for the description in this
article – daydreamer, heck yes! I doodle during staff meetings, half a mind
paying attention, the other half noting random associations to the topic
discussed. My best thoughts occur either in the shower or while driving. I keep
a journal of squiggles, words, a strange documentation of ideas that would
probably appear the ramblings of an insane woman should anyone else ever
attempt to decipher the contents. Now I have official studies to support the
claim, “My brain was too busy thinking about other things to be bothered with
something as mundane as paying the phone bill.” I agree whole-heartedly that it
is much more fun to come up with the ideas than to actually execute them. (Hence
my gigantic collection of supplies!) The disparity between getting what I see
in my head to a finished product is indeed hard work. I doubt, I question, I
become discouraged and, as Gnezda writes, the final result never quite measures
up to that original inspiration.
It’s absolutely thrilling to be a part of the art
education paradigm shift. I cannot deny that the methods I learned thirty
years ago, with a serious emphasis on technique, have done little to prepare my
students for the world of today and the world of their future. I cringe in
recalling the times I deprived students the opportunities to experience that
low-energy idea search, the times I robbed them that joy of illumination.
(OUCH, please accept my apologies former students!)
It has been my goal throughout this unit to select
images which strongly conveyed a theme of ‘Story”. Hopefully the VTS
experiences gave students the opportunity to experience open-end exploration
from a personal point of view. Hopefully VTS allowed them the opportunity to
make those random associations both from their own ideas as well as from those
of their peers.
Gnezda states, “…creative processes do not progress
smoothly.” That’s definitely something I need to make my students aware of, and
should I ever be tempted to get a tattoo, I’d get that phrase inked on the
inside of my forearm! Students had no problems recalling a time of change in
their life, no problems translating the idea into a written plan. They
struggled however with the concept of how the written plan could tell a visual
story. They weren’t used to the open-endedness of the assignment. I was
exhausted as I attempted to coach them individually into understanding. My
early finishers rushed right in and completed drawings, which did not convey
any story. I taught and retaught. Students had the opportunity to create many
drafts, the opportunity to play with ideas. In the end, most of them ‘got it’.
There were a handful whose drawing skills are not strong enough for me, or
anyone else for that matter, to communicate their story. I think using VTS as a
peer assessment was somewhat helpful, but there came a point where I realized
that if THEY understood their drawing, that had to be good enough for me.
As a Week 15 Bonus please check out this TED video
OK. I can't wait to read this article now.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Sometimes if "a student understands their drawing, it is good enough"..... That in and of itself can sometimes be the key to moving on to more sophisticated imagery and compositions. I always ask them if they would proudly hang it in the art show, or a museum... If they hesitate.... they have work to do. They know. They learn to trust their gut (not mine).
Ok, Im going to watch this TED video now. When Im sleepy tomorrow..... Ill be smiling thinking about your classes.
OMG. DOodle me silly. I doodle through my entire life.
ReplyDeleteI knew I wouldn't be the only one to LOVE the Gnezda article. She got into my head, too! It explained a LOT of my idiosyncracies! I love the Doodler's Unite TED as well. I think Caila recommended it a while back in another class...or maybe Holly? Anyway, I loved it and forwarded it to my former administrator. He didn't respond...but if he watched it, I hope it made a difference.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing you at the Daum!
I sent that TED video to the entire staff and both administrators. I doodle all the live long day and wanted to make sure they knew I was paying attention in staff meetings and because a student told me about being yelled at in class for doodling. Doodlers rule!
ReplyDelete