Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mrs. Lamme and the terrible awful no good very bad week!



This was the worst school week possibly ever. Here's the way it all went down:
  • Monday - mashed two fingers on left hand in the slab roller while attempting to roll and cut 28 6" tiles in a BIG hurry. No students are present, I say words that should never be said inside the walls of an elementary school. It hurt like hell and I worry that I may lose a fingernail before it's all over.
  • Tuesday - roll and cut an additional 28 6" tiles with injured and hurting left hand. Make certain that all body parts are clear from dangerous rolling and mashing mechanism. (Speculate that the origin of slab roller may have been based on medieval instrument of torture.)
  • Wednesday - cut fingers of same hand multiple times prepping tooling foil for a 6th grade project.(Use good hand to note avoid ordering 36 guage foil in the future.) Experience additional cuts to right hand when angry, emotionally troubled student yanks a piece of said foil from my hand. He complains repeatedly that he has been singled out to recieve, and I quote,"...a defective piece of foil."Send student to office. Upon return to his regular classroom the boy has a total and complete meltdown after his classmates gang up on him for being mean to Mrs. Lamme. They convince him that I was sobbing and bleeding profusely, neither of which were true. Spend 15 minutes on phone after school with tearful mother of same student.
  • Thursday - receive message from same parent requesting that I return her call, but have no time to do so. I still have not returned the call and likely will never do so. The boss forwards me an email about two elementary art teachers in the district being recognized at a board meeting for their workshop presentation on the techniques of paper manipulation. He asks if I have presented this year. I reply no, but that my next conference presentation will cover the importance of blended literacy and open ended instruction. (I feel quite certain that it was a complete waste of sarcasm!)
  • Friday - Have majority of my limited plan time taken by drop in visit from the mother of a different sixth grade boy. She is crying because he 'lost' his tooling foil in my room and I told him that he would not be able to do the project as I have no extra foil. She suggests that I should have held the entire class at the end of the period until the missing foil turned up. Difficult to do, I explain, when my classes are back-to-back. (I don't even have time to pee I want to tell her!) PTO snags the remainder of my plan time, asking me to participate in the 'Art to Remember' fund raiser, AND then donate the proceeds to PTO. They act severely offended when I say that I would expect their assistance and stipulate that a portion of the money be donated to the art room.
My MU email account keeps offering a $25. bar tending course. The notion of tending bar is looking more attractive with each passing day. I could stay up late, sleep in, and probably get away with telling people to F-off when they annoy me.
             

6 comments:

  1. Also, as a bartender, drinking on the job would merely be considered "professional development". -Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Weeks like that are a pain. Keep it in perspective, likely a lot of the drama you had aimed at you was simply a place to play out crud that is happening someplace else in the lives of the kids/mothers. Its kind of like we all have our "reality bubble" and when two bubbles collide and they pop, it gets a little messy... (Remember those old reese peanut butter cup commercials.... are you old enough for that?)

    As for the clay roller.... I think paper cutters were invented for the same reason (got my thumb once..... going from tip to knuckle....)

    Rest this weekend. It will blow over as do all weeks like that. Been there... will be there again Im sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days are like that....even in Australia! (I remember the Alexander story well!)=0) Sending you a BIG HUG! Just remember all of the kids who had a blast and learned a lot from you this week and all of their happy parents....I assure you that they are the majority (even if silent)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well darn.....such a horrible week...hope this one is going better.
    Also Trust that you got a loving "Poor Baby" from your best friend and partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad day. I lost several art projects this week. Of course I'm still not convinced that I'm the one who lost them, I think some people just didn't put them away in the designated location!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for that 'LIKE' widget and installing it ASAP. Thanks to ALL of you for your support. There will always be bad days, weeks, and even years and I know the secret is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on keepin' on.@ Mary, thanks for the reminder that there are happy, even if silent parents and for the virtual hug.@Amy, I love your reeses PB cups analogy and I think I'm going to plan a project around the collision of 'reality bubbles'.

    This week is shaping up to be a good one, of course it helps that I am out for half the week. ;-) In the meantime, I'm plodding away, doin' what I do with a smile on my face and a band-aid on my finger.

    PS Have also dusted off the old cocktail shaker and have been practicing my best Tom Cruise 'Cocktail' moves. Figured it would be good to be on top of the game should I ever persue that second career.

    ReplyDelete