| Abigail Housen, Co-Founding Director, Visual Thinking Strategies |
“Eye of the Beholder: Research, Theory, & Practice” ~
insights,epiphanies, surprises, and questions
When reading this I was transported back to undergrad art history classes (six
b-o-r-i-n-g credit hours worth). I can clearly recall the struggle to keep my eyes open, seated in a darkened auditorium, lulled by the drone of the professor’s voice. I dutifully noted and memorized a description of the piece and pertinent information in order that I be able to regurgitate said info for the test, my 'second look' and then promptly forgot all but the Venus of Willendorf! There was no joy, no passion and most certainly, no growth and development of aesthetic response. How sad that I both entered and exited these courses a Stage 1 viewer!
I was surprised that Housen referenced VTS sessions with second graders which lasted as long as an hour. (p 18) I know the VTS manual suggests 15-20 minutes time per image and, rule follower that I tend to be, I am harsh on myself for consistently spending 25 minutes per session. Sheryl Lamme, I hereby give you permission to lighten up on yourself!
The thing that sticks in my mind after reading this article is just how closely aligned VTS is to the goals of 21st Century education. The website http://www.21stcenturyschools.com/What_is_21st_Century_Education.htm gives the following definitions:
Teacher - From primary role as a dispenser of information to orchestrator of learning and helping students turn information into knowledge, and knowledge into wisdom.
The 21st century will require knowledge generation, not just information delivery, and schools will need to create a “culture of inquiry”.
Learner - In the past a learner was a young person who went to school, spent a specified amount of time in certain courses, received passing grades and graduated. Today we must see learners in a new context:
First – we must maintain student interest by helping them see how what they are learning prepares them for life in the real world.
Second – we must instill curiosity, which is fundamental to lifelong learning.
Third – we must be flexible in how we teach.
Fourth – we must excite learners to become even more resourceful so that they will continue to learn outside the formal school day.”
Isn't that VTS in a nutshell?
Children from birth until school age have no trouble learning. No one has to instill curiosity into the process of their daily lives. They learn about life through direct experience, lots of it delightful discovery and just as much trial and error. The act of learning to walk is a herculean task and yet a tiny human continues and tries and tries again, experimenting with different techniques in balance all based on some internal drive that no one is getting in the way of. Imagine if education embraced imagination, curiosity and the individuals penchant for experimentation? If we, as educators can get out of the way while also guiding and supporting, seems to me its a darn good combo. Right on Sheryl!
ReplyDeleteOh, and we should also give ourselves the same permission... :) 25 minutes! YES!
ReplyDeleteJust for clarification, a "lesson" in VTSology is a three-image set. Still, VTS discussions prove that young students can stay involved for longer than a few minutes if the image is appropriate to their ages, interests, and needs and if they are encouraged to find meaning for themselves.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it is into its second decade, I really do think VTS is "cutting edge" when you look at goals for 21st Century education and the work of authors like Pink, Liu & Noppe-Brandon, and Gardner. Oh the wheels of education turn slowly, don't they?
Thanks Mary, I wondered if that hour included the set of three images. The wheels do turn slowly, but I'm ever-so-proud that we're among those at the forefront!
Delete