Friday, January 20, 2012

Continuing VTS

Van Gogh, Bedroom in Arles (first version) 1888
I've had a difficult time transitioning back into the classroom after Christmas break this year...I've had a cold that I can't seem to kick, a son getting married, and a house packed full with guests. I've missed scattered days of school, and just can't seem to get back into the swing of things. Yesterday, the last class of the day I had about ten extra minutes before the class dismissed and decided to do an impromptu session of VTS with my second graders. I'd displayed this version of Van Gogh's Bedroom at Arles. Everything fell into place....bodies sat still and listened respectfully, hands raised into the air, narratives developed. One boy asserted that this was a master bedroom and then went on to back up his reasons, with no prompting. My heart swelled with pride and I fell into love with VTS all over again...perhaps it's the very thing I needed to get my art teaching groove back!

No comments:

Post a Comment