You are definitely NOT the only teacher who gets bogged down
by the staff lounge or in my case, the hallway conversations. The one benefit
of six back-to-back classes a day and no passing time is the fact that I’m
rarely privy to these discussions. (When you don’t even have time to run to the
bathroom, you gotta look hard for the positives!) The elementary art teachers
in my district meet four - five times throughout the school year for PLC. At
first I was really excited for a chance to collaborate, but they’re mostly
bitch and moan sessions addressing "this is the way we do things at our school.". Reading through this book made me wonder if I could interest any of them in a book study on this book.
Reflection
With every meaningful unit we teach we are essentially asking
our students to demonstrate how they perceive themselves, but what if we did it in an
overt and profound way? How could that look? Sometimes people tell me that I’m
really pushing elementary kids to visualize abstract concepts. I wonder if they’d
see beyond the literal and, more importantly, would it really matter? Dreamer
first, educator second, realist last…sometimes that realist last part trips me
up, but yup, that’s me.
The other elementary art teachers are really a great group
of people, I like them a lot. Despite our many differences, the common thread
of what we do ties us together. We’re all crunched for time, have to deal with
the same issues as far as grading, and lunch duties. We’re frustrated that we
don’t have time for our own art-making. Our fine art’s coordinator facilitates
the PLC meetings, but how can I reframe the undercurrent of bitching and
moaning so that these meetings can be more than a waste of time? I think it’s a
case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Any suggestions my fine
classmates?
PS. YOU are my real
collaborative group!
What underlies the bitching and moaning? Usually it is a shield for some unmet need, or fear/insecurity. Or a feeling of not being recognized, respected etc..... if the moaners were asked to sincerely reflect on their underlying concerns and make statements which are productive rather than complaints, its at least a starting point. The moaners must take responsibility for their perception (their responsibility ) of a situation (how much is that situation defined by the way they perceive it) and reframe it into something functional. There will be certain things that probably can not be changed, and then of course, change is slow anyway. Helping people recognize that for every crappy situation, a difference in perception can alter the experience and outcome can make a profound difference.
ReplyDeleteWe love to blame the bad guys.... but then, isn't that a perception? :)
So, what if you have a session where everyone takes 10 minutes just to gripe. Get it all out on the table (record it even... might be interesting) Then step back and look at those gripes. (watch the video) Whats really happening? Are these cases of individuals struggling in their rooms, is it an art issue? Is it a bigger systemic issue? Identify the underlining issue. It takes courage to work underneath the fussing and get to real problem solving. OH OH!!!! "What if" you made an art challenge out of it!!!!! Have them do a "visual metaphor of their perceived problems!!!! Then bring them to the table!!! Spend a morning together creating! You can do it Sheryl! You are brilliant! :)
Amy,
ReplyDeleteIf only I'd been able to embed that 'LIKE' widget. In the previous summers we've had to participate in staff-led PD. I think I see real potential in my workshop for next summer. We could make an entire day of it. Love it!