Summary
Chapters 3 & 4
Who
and how an educator perceives them self has a direct correlation to their
practice as an educator. For the reflective educator, this relationship is malleable.
Viewing one’s practical theories through the framework of Handal and Lauvas (“… the intermingling of personal
experiences, transmitted knowledge, and core values” (p 26) in association
to one’s work environment provides insight into the motivation behind theory. While cut and dried theory fosters understanding for reflective practice, this understanding must be viewed through the disordered lens of emotion. The practice of considering feelings, memories, experiences and the images through which they are viewed has the potential to uncover “our deepest values”. (p 47) Bringing these values to light facilitates their inspection and opens the door for growth and change.
Reflection
What motivates the impulse to teach?
First
of all, how can I possibly stop thinking about my experiences, knowledge, and
values long enough to even begin considering this question? Furthermore, my best
friends have described me as a “detail oriented story teller”. How can I
possibly articulate a concise answer to that question in less than a million
words?! It’s truly mind-boggling and more than a little messy to ponder. I’ll
attempt brevity, and I suspect I’ll need to let this introspection simmer for a
while.
Earlier
this year I was reviewing the standard required emergency procedures with all
of my students, I think I had third grade at the time. I had finished the
review and, as always, to stave off the “But what if an earthquake, fire, and tornado
all happened at the same time AND there was an intruder in the building?”
questions. (It’s an elementary school, someone ALWAYS asks!) I stressed that if
an emergency happens that we aren’t prepared for that students should remain
calm and quiet and trust the adult that is with them to make the best decisions
for their safety. As I went on to add, “When you are at school, you are like my
own kids to me” my voice cracked with the realization that what I said was
TRUE. I’ve always known that I love my
students, but this was a new revelation to me. My kids are a big chaotic family
to me. Seeing them as such changes everything! I’m motivated to give them the
best that I can, to send them out into the world to be strong and prepared to
encounter life’s challenges. I want to give them the tools they need to resolve
differences and to be flexible. I’m not sure what a deep-rooted psychoanalysis of this, seeing my kids as my family would reveal, and, what
is more, I don’t really care!The text brings up “… appreciation for wonder in a child’s eye” (p 49). I think this is also a great motivator behind my desire to teach. It’s that sense of wonder that continually refreshes my own way of seeing the world. Picasso said “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” To me, it’s a child’s wonder that washes the dust away. I’ve mentioned before that I’ve toyed with the notion of moving to a different grade level of teaching, but, I strongly suspect that I’d miss the wonder.
Not
really last, but last for now, and it’s ever-so-hard for me to wrap these
thoughts into words - more than anything, anything, anything else, I’m
motivated by the need to plant the seeds for my kids to be resilient. I want to
give them a shield against anyone and anything that would erode away or steal
their right to their own uniqueness, not matter how quirky. The world can be a
big, mean place, but only if YOU let it be. It’s another reason I have to stay
with the little ones, in these days of testing, and data, and endless programs,
I’m afraid that individuality is tossed to the wayside. I’m on a one woman
mission to preserve and nurture it!

No comments:
Post a Comment