From One Extreme to the Other or When it Rains It Pours!
Today I implemented Lesson 2 with my third grade focus group. Last week I was on top of the world, things could not have gone better. This week it seemed that if something could go wrong, it did! I had completed a trial run of the video camera the day before and was not very pleased with the audio quality. (Unfortunately, the Flip cameras are the only ones that my building has.) I encouraged my group to speak loudly, but there are some students who are almost impossible to hear on the video.
Again, my students were quite anxious to participate; many hands were waving about all of the time. I had less inventory takers in the group this time, and I don’t believe I had any parroters at all. There were about the same number of themes that students focused on. Students seemed relaxed and comfortable sharing. Unlike last time, I had one boy who repeatedly either kicked a metal table leg or drummed on the table top, another on the carpet who kept poking others, and yet another who made a rather condescending comment regarding the interpretation of another student. I kept getting distracted by a.) the discipline issues, and b.) trying to keep an eye on the clock. Despite watching the clock I went over on time AGAIN and I neglected to call on a boy who said he had his hand up the entire time. I also acted surprised when I noticed a detail a student pointed out that I had not previously noticed. Honestly, if the fire alarm had gone off it would have fit right in with the way I felt things were going!
No comments:
Post a Comment