Chapter Eight of the Hetland text presents that in learning to express, one makes “works that exemplify properties that are not literally present, such as moods, sounds, and atmosphere… and also convey properties such as emotions, a sense of movement, or personal meaning.” (p 53) Jim Woodside, one of the teachers interviewed, challenges his students to make meaningful connections between their art and their life, their life to the world, and their place in the world. Another teacher interviewed, Beth Ballirio, shared her belief that part of being an artist is “figuring out how to get yourself heard.” (p 57) As a teacher she tries to get her students to go beyond technique, to a place where they can visualize the message they are conveying to a viewer.
My Studio Habits
As far as my own studio habits are concerned….sometimes I think I get so focused on the aspects of manipulating the media, of trying to achieve ‘perfection’ that I stifle my voice. One of the things I have enjoyed the most about studying the studio thought process is that I have gained a deeper understanding of myself in regard to studio thought. Oh, in the past I’ve had little glimmers here and there as to my personal preferences, but this book has made me focus deeply on the way I work and has dared me to expand my way of thought, and to hopefully become a better artist ( and teacher as a result). So, I think it’s fair for me to say that Jim and Beth have inspired me to delve a little deeper into that meaningful connection part of my art.
The Art Making of my Students
Working with grades K-6 I encounter a vast range of connectivity in relationship to art making. I think, perhaps, that my youngest students, the kinders and first graders are probably more naturally expressive in their art than the older students. These little ones become so deeply engrossed in the process of art making, freed from the fear of failure and unconcerned about what others think, they truly have the ability to put their all into their work. They delight in sharing their expression as well. One of my favorite kindergarteners, explaining her painting to me this week, “This is me on the slide, and this is you, when you were a little girl, and we are playing together on the playground.” To me her work is a profound expression of personal vision.
None of the Methods courses I took towards teacher certification, a hundred million years ago, really prepared me for teaching my students to express. I think I need to work on challenging my older students to consider ‘evocative’ meaning in their work.
No comments:
Post a Comment