Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chapter Ten

Learning to Reflect – Thinking Metacognitively
Wikipedia offers the following as a definition: Metacognition refers to one’s knowledge concerning one’s own cognitive processes or anything related to them, e.g., the learning-relevant properties of information or data. For example, I am engaging in metacognition if I notice that I am having more trouble learning A than B; if it strikes me that I should double check C before accepting it as fact.—J. H. Flavell (1976, p. 232).
In this chapter of the Hetland text we examine the reflective process of a strong visual arts class.  I created this Popplet, (what a fantastic tool for visual learners!!!) because I needed to see the process described.

Reflection and My Personal Studio Habits
At our Creativity Forum I shared from Roger von Oech’s book, A Kick in the Seat of the Pants, the four roles one must assume to achieve high creative performance: Explorer, Artist, Judge, and Warrior.  The Judge role is the one which evaluates the creative process.  As I shared in my review of this book, oftentimes I am critical of my own work to the point that I prevent myself from ever really starting anything! As I was creating my clay piece for class (I think I already blogged this) I found myself engaged in a running monologue for my own benefit.  Just as I needed to see Hetland’s description of the reflection process, it seems that I also needed to hear myself self-monitor.  Somehow, it just worked for me.  Beth Balliro, one of the teachers inter viewed shared that she requires her students to journal their art making process.  I believe this is something I want to put into practice, both for myself and for my students.
Reflection and the Art Making of My Students
Balliro says that to help her students develop the habit of ‘Question and Explain’; she circles from student to student asking open ended questions about their work.  I too, find this to be a helpful technique.  An added benefit of circling the room is that of making that personal connection to my students. It also provides an excellent opportunity to redirect someone who is causing problems, or who did not understand the directions.  I occasionally have my students do written reflections on their work, I do see the benefit in this, and, as I’ve mentioned, I think it’s time to implement classroom journaling.  If I can make it a regular part of art making starting when students are in kindergarten, the process should become second nature.  In trying to make more frequent use of technology, I have recently been experimenting with having students do a videotaped reflection.
As far as critique, my students share their work by coming to the front of the room.  They are allowed to call on two other students.  The students called on are encouraged to ask a question beginning with either “I notice….” or “I wonder…”. Balliro says that she has her students pick out lesson vocabulary words that they see evident in the art work, I think that’s an excellent suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment