| Kindergartener's depiction of Respect |
A common pretense in the field of art education is that the practice of art making fosters the development of creativity yet Gude asserts the majority of art curriculums falls short when it comes to the development of “deeply personal creative behaviors.” (p 32) Skill and vocabulary based content standards leave little room to support the growth of meaningful making. Referencing the book, On Becoming a Person, by Carl Rogers (1961) , Gude tells us that the key components for creative growth stem from: play - the freedom to experiment, “openness to experience” - a willingness to consider possibilities and the ability to “trust one’s own processes and perceptions”. (p 36 - 37)
My
response - One of Liv’s personal goals is to
be more articulate. She said “ I want to absorb the
readings so well that I can recite them, quote them, and be able to use them to
articulate.” What a powerful goal! If I could only absorb one reading to that
extent, I would want it to be anything written by Olivia Gude. Internalizing
her wisdom would provide great ammunition in my ongoing battle for curriculum
change. The art teachers in my district met last week after hanging our annual
art show. All of them would argue that their lessons develop creativity,
however, three out of seven said that their projects were “directed” and left
little room for students to do anything on their own. This was in regard to a
report card standard, and the teachers saw nothing wrong with their practice.
One of them even went on to say, “Over the years, I’ve learned that you cannot
get quality student work without showing them what to do, step-by-step.” Yikes!
As if quality student work involved making pretty pictures to hang in the hall!
It would be nice to imagine that this is an exception, however, a quick check of student work posted to artsonia
or a look at the most popular art teacher blogs will reveal that though this
type of art teaching should have died out a long, long time ago, it is, in
fact, alive and well. In my case, it even threatens to outvote my attempts at
being a change agent. Hence my need to channel Gude at will!
Where
/when do you notice “discomfort” when you are teaching? Gude
gives the example of a teacher whose frustration stems from student inability
to fearlessly engage in the act of art making. Conversely, students are
frustrated because they have no experience with the process of open-ended
meaning making. She goes on to describe an equation of frustration: students
half-heartedly going through the motions of producing art + teacher focus on
the students who “get it” = shallow end product + teacher who blames student
attitude. In the end, it’s a fail / fail situation.
Most of my elementary students will
eagerly go wherever I want to take them. The majority readily engages in VTS
discussions, and I try to design lessons that have a real life connection for
them. They tend to be excited over new processes, media, and techniques and it
is easy for me to feed off of that excitement. I do experience frustration
stemming from seeing 430 students on a three-day rotation with no passing time
between classes. I am often the last person to leave the building. I feel
over-worked because I am overworked! I make a conscious effort not to let that
fact define who I am and what I do though. Most of the time I am fairly successful,
I like my job, and I feel like I am making a difference. J When it comes to actual
discomfort, as much as I hate to admit it, it would probably be the scenario
Gude describes. I only have a few students who would fall into the “never gets
it” category, and as shameful as it is, after a repeated number of failed attempts,
upon reflection, I think I do unconsciously tend to give up on those students.
An example of this would be one of my fifth grade boys, who I will call Martin.
Martin is an eleven-year-old, African American boy, new to my building this
year. His work is sloppy and rapidly executed. Finished products are the level
of work of a much, much younger student and he makes no attempt at meaning
making. He is sweet and polite, always having a big goofy smile on his face, never
failing to greet me with a “Hi, Mrs. Lamme. How you doin’ today?” Yet, after
repeatedly trying to engage him, and after offering a number of modifications
to no avail, I have resigned to the fact that he is lazy. He does the bare
minimum and I focus more of my attention on the rest of the class. I don’t know
how to meet him as he is!
What
inhibits my creative development? For
many years I have joked that I prefer the acquisition of art making supplies to
the actual process of making art. That being said, I would like to say that
time inhibits my creative development, in all actuality, I think it’s more
a matter of discipline. I have no problem being creative, and dream-up, at
least in my mind, wonderful ideas. Seeing the ideas become reality requires
focus and commitment. Once I’m in the flow I hate being interrupted. I can work
for hours on end, not stopping to eat, drink, sleep, or even go to the
bathroom. I abhor outside interruption. I enjoy the process of sorting through what works, the tension of
solving the problem. It’s a highly satisfying experience which borders on mania,
but it’s also very draining. I don’t find it as rewarding to work in smaller
increments of time, though it is frequently my modus operandus these days. I do share my work with students, but, unlike Amy, I rarely work alongside them. They are too needy, and my administration would frown on it.
Wait..... Your administration would frown on it? Wow....hmmmm Would they not see that as a for of instruction?
ReplyDeleteThat said, it is true that the littler ones are needier, especially K, 1, 2, and 3's It takes me a while to train them to not sit and stare at what Im doing rather than pop by and see, maybe ask a question, then go back to their own work.
It is possible I am completely selfish in my working along side my kids as I do. I love to create so I crave process and love the feel of a room of little artists making meaning. :) Its contagious.
As for your other point, good heavens, you are so amazingly articulate and tie together not only the words of others but give those words you own voice which makes them all the more powerful. I think everyone does that to some degree or another, but I find your articulations beautifully constructed and easy to understand. You rock.
I love working alongside my students too and I do so whenever I can, but I have MUCH smaller groups of students than most teachers, and even then, it just depends on what we're working on. Sometimes it's just not feasible. But when it works, it really works. The other day my students were working independently with clay on sculptural elements for their totem poles. None of them really needed me at the moment, so I just started making a nose out of clay for some reason. The next thing I knew, some eyeballs and a pair of lips showed up in front of me. It was almost time to clean up, but we decided everyone would contribute a different facial feature and we would assemble it next class. Looking forward to seeing the absolutely whack-a-doodle thing we come up with. I guess the point of my story is that what transpired was organic, impulse-based, authentic, and in the moment. I don't know if it was super deep and meaningful, but I felt more connected to my students in that moment when we were just having fun together.
ReplyDeleteI hear what you are saying about "unconsciously tend to give up on those students." I have some of those. The one I am thinking of is also in 5th grade, he too is sloppy and lazy (his teacher tells me he is the same in most every subject). I have tried talking to him outside of class casual at lunch, but I can't seem to get him interested.
ReplyDeleteI too hate to be interrupted when working, this is why I struggle with my short classes. I tend not to eat lunch, because I'm working on one thing or another. I do sometimes work along side my 7th and 6th grades but my other classes are too large or too needy.
-I have a few Martins in my classroom. One thing I have done, that seems to help, is show off student work. First, I showed the whole class a student's project that was exceptional. (This student was in the same grade, but in another class). I asked them what made this piece look so good. This helped re-teach my objectives. Then, I challenged them to work as hard as that student had. Also, when I do have kids that are lazy, I make sure to acknowledge when they do well by holding up their work for the whole class to see. In elementary, they usually love the attention and it persuades them to work harder in the future as well.
ReplyDelete-Is there any way you can explain to your administration that working with the students is a great way to model? You are not only showing them how to do something, but you are proving to them how enjoyable art is. You'd be promoting intrinsic motivation through the example of your own enjoyment and want to create. Just some "food for thought".
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI totally identify with your statement!
ReplyDelete" For many years I have joked that I prefer the acquisition of art making supplies to the actual process of making art. That being said, I would like to say that time inhibits my creative development, in all actuality, I think it’s more a matter of discipline. I have no problem being creative, and dream-up, at least in my mind, wonderful ideas. Seeing the ideas become reality requires focus and commitment. "
What do your kitchen cabinets look like? Half of my cabinets are filled with art supplies! In my bedroom I have two big bookshelves overflowing with books and kits. I affectionately call it my "When I break my leg" collection. When do you work best, day or night? I am an early morning or late night person, but late night work affects me the next day. I can work to 3 or 4 am without caffeine if I am in the zone.
By looking at your blog posts and work, you seem to be self-actualized in your work as an artist. I have let myself go over the past 5 years, and enroll in online classes to give myself the external motivation to get stuff done.
What is one of your ideas that you haven't followed through on yet? Mine is a high end collection of house robes. I kid you not, I even have a very cheeky photography campaign to accompany my robes.
If you want to start a middle aged art renegade movement.....
Beth, I have shelf after shelf in my basement filled with supplies!!! I call mine "Projects to Work on When I Am Institutionalized, I seriously, seriously do! LOL I tend to do my best work into the wee hours, also with no coffee. (Amy and Holly, my last summer roomies can attest to this.) I aspire to work on my own, but I have trouble starting. I'd really like to do some huge mixed material sculptures ala Nicki St Phalle. Don't have any idea how to get started, but some day...Love love love the house robe idea. Have a feeling you would enjoy my weekly jaunt to Goodwill. Heck to the YES! Let the renegade movement begin!
ReplyDelete