I’m a bit jealous of the classroom teacher when it comes to the interpersonal relationships and environment. Classroom teachers have the time that it takes, should they elect to do so, to really get to know their students. In my twelve years of teaching at a military school I can name on one hand the students I have been lucky enough to have K-5. Most of them are there for 2-3 years, others as little as 5-6 months. Never the less, during the 50 minutes every three days I usually develop an easy going rapport with my students. Students know my rules, most of which are based on respect – No talking when I am teaching, treat one another with respect, and respect both supplies and the art room. Humor has always been a favorite tool. I try very hard to see all of my students as humans, as having feelings. I try to treat them, as I would have expected teachers to treat my own children. All of this being said, I rarely have discipline problems …despite how it may appear in my video taped VTS sessions ;-).
However, since beginning VTS last fall I believe that I am more at ease with my students. Recently I have shared more and more relevant personal stories with my kids, it just feels natural. Whenever I do so it seems that every eye is on me, and that they are hanging onto my every last word. This has been most effective with my fifth and sixth graders.
VTS has given me insights and glimpses of my students that truly foster closeness and give me a new respect for them.It also seems as though my students are more respectful of one another, especially in the grades where I conduct VTS more frequently.
Experts in 21st Century Learning agree that communication and collaboration are critical part of the equation. http://p21.org/overview/skills-framework/261. Yet, oftentimes, in this day and age our students have limited opportunities for conversation. They sit listening to a teacher cram test information into their brains all day, play games or watch TV all evening, and communicate in the form of social media and texts. I think our students are downright hungry for authentic discussion, and I think VTS is the perfect means for facilitating these interactions in EVERY classroom.
Wow! What a powerful testamonial! When you said, "VTS has given me insights and glimpses of my students that truly foster closeness and give me a new respect for them," I had to smile. I have experienced the very same thing. I wonder if perhaps the best solution for making peace with the most difficult students might be VTS. I agree, it makes you see them (and they, you) in a new way. You've also attested to transfer when you said, "It also seems as though my students are more respectful of one another, especially in the grades where I conduct VTS more frequently." One of the first online articles I ever read about VTS was from classroom teachers in a school where total implementation K-5 was happening and they noted more respectful behavior on the playground. Gotta love it!!!
ReplyDelete