Thursday, December 22, 2011

So,THIS is Why I Do What I Do!

First and Second Grader's VTSed this image a week prior to beginning their own winter landscape.
First Grade


Jessica added all sorts of animal tracks to her landscape.

The paintings took 3-4, 50 minute class periods. My students could easily connect to the commonalities of time, place, and nature. Not to toot my own horn, no, wait a minute, I WILL toot my own horn. Anyone who has ever painted with large classes of first and second graders understand the extreme level of classroom management it takes! Heck yes, I WILL toot my horn!!!  I was easily able to squeeze in: the use of liquid tempera paint, use and care of paintbrushes, landscape, foreground, mid-ground, background, value, horizon line, scale / proportion, and overlapping.... Plus,( and what a MIGHTY plus this is) while every other class in the building was in a frenzy - watching movies and playing games during those last few days before Christmas break, all was semi-quiet in the art room as students engaged in the art of creating!




As a bonus, I discovered that liquid tempera paint dispensed in plastic ice cube trays and covered with Glad Press'n Seal ( I LOVE Press'n Seal, a litle more expensive but totally worth it!) will keep for at least three weeks!

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! I hope you shared this success with your colleagues! Please post the finished paintings, too! What I can see through these images looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete